Thursday, December 3, 2009

Sun after rain

Today started cold but soon became tropical, with southerly winds and piles of driving rain. In the late afternoon the wind shifted toward the west and some of the sky cleared. There was a bit of low sun, sun after rain, and it was beautiful. A huge rainbow arched over the harbour, and small fragments of high clouds turned a little pink, while the lower rags and tags of grey cloud from the storm went racing across the sky.

There is something to love about sun after rain. It always seems more golden. And the blue of the sky always looks so washed and fresh that it feels brand new.

I remember my long first winter in Vancouver and the day after day after day of rain, something I had never experienced before. But what still sticks with me is those instances toward sunset when the dome of cloud we lived under would lift in the west just enough to reveal a bit of clear sky and the beneficent rays of sun that shone sideways across the city illuminating everything. It was a wonder.

As today was a wonder. I was driving through a washed world. The low gold of the sun shone on my left side, there was the bright freshness of blue sky with scraps of cloud in front, and a brilliant rainbow was arching on my right.

No photo, just my eyes, and the brief glory of some sun after rain lighting our world. What else do you need?

No comments:

Post a Comment