Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Time of the Magic Light

I’ve been walking past the wheelbarrow for the last two days and thought every time about the loveliness of the tiny white moth that landed in the rain water collected there on Sunday, but I’ve always been too busy or too focused on other things to actually photograph it. Until tonight, that is. As I moved the camera in to eliminate the borders and show the moth closer, I realized how lovely the reflected sky was. So there we were – a little before sunset, some standard Nova Scotian clouds in the sky, and the time of the magic light – once again!

When I went upstairs I noticed the late sun illuminating a part of one of the maples below the house, but by the time I got the camera the light had shifted. So I closed in on Mauger’s Beach and caught the lighthouse glowing. Then I looked in the harbour at the container pier on one side and the refinery at Imperoyal on the other. One thing we have always loved is the shimmering brightness of Imperoyal on a clear night, something beautiful about it even if it is an oil refinery. So I turned the camera onto the oil tanks over there, lit by the low setting sun. It’s the light, a light I remember from so many places, the light that makes your skin glow and makes the world, for a short time, a little more glorious.

No comments:

Post a Comment