Sunday, August 5, 2012

RECUPERATION #3 – Belief in Magic


Here I am on a Sunday in Nova Scotia beginning to write a blog post on magic and the belief in it as part of a recovery/recuperation process for serious diseases. 

Yesterday was a good summer Saturday for Halifax, sunny skies, occasional cloud, high of almost 30, and only a light breeze off the cool ocean, a good day for a swim, so we headed for Chocolate Lake.  All three of our children were there, along with our three granddaughters (aged 4 to 7) and two daughters-in-law.  All this was magical enough for me as I came down the steep roadway on Lorraine’s arm to the beach area and set up my folding chair in a bit of shade.  I felt like an old crock (I was an old crock!) among all of the beach-loungers and the splashers and swimmers, but I was at the beach in my suit, possibly going to have my first swim of this season.

I made it, this skinny old guy being helped into the water by his son and daughter and even got in before she did  and got to splash her as she continued to hesitate.  What I didn’t expect, however, was how hard it was to swim.  For one thing, my flotation was gone, and for another my skinny arms couldn’t move me fast, but swim I did for a couple of metres.  Next time we go, Lorraine said, we’ll bring a pfd.  Great, I thought, that’s how I learned to swim about 60 years ago (only they were called lifejackets then). 

So where’s that belief in magic?  All I’ve written so far, I think, concerns mainly physics and physiology.

Actually I didn’t particularly believe in magic myself until yesterday afternoon after the swim when we went to my mother’s grave at St. Phillip’s in Purcell’s Cove (she died at 90 last August 27).  This was the girls’ first visit to the grave and they brought special rocks, including one from California, and sea glass they had collected in Purcell’s Cove to place on the stone.  Then they gathered flowers to arrange as well.

When it was all arranged and photographed, I asked if anyone there had ever found a four-leaf clover, and E., the 5-year old said, You mean like this? and picked one from the grass right next to the grave.  

It was perfect.  Several of the adults said they’d never seen one before.  Now that was magic!  It was a wholly magic time.

And then tonight, just as we drove down into Purcell’s Cove, an osprey hit the water right next to the car and lifted off with a fish.  If that’s not magic, I don’t know what is.

So #3 on the list of recuperative strategies (they are in random order) is a belief in magic.  I’m a believer!

2 comments:

  1. Wow! That is cool. I created a bit of magic this evening with a Rog tree out on our patio. Going through all of the stuff after the move I found a discarded potted tree. First I thought to make it into an evil eye tree (like the one in Cap.), then you crossed my mind and I thought instead I would make a tree for you. So I rummaged around and found stones, sea glass and shells from Sile, Nova Scotia and Cirali and placed those at the bottom, with a mussel shell or two. Then I found the sheep ornament (from Assos) you and N gave us for kurban bayrami one year, plus a small buoy from NS and various drift wood I had collected in Cirali when we were there in May two years ago. Then I put them all on the tree with a couple of evil eyes. I looked for the lobster ornament we had bought our first year in NS, but it is lost in the mess of the move. Then just for extra good measure, I put a small statue of Buddha surrounded by candles atop the beach rocks. It may not be real magic, but it looked and felt magical to me as I created it while thinking of you and N and all of the good times we spend together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds pretty darn good to me!

    ReplyDelete